Tuesday, April 29, 2014

The Stars My Destination


I enjoyed this weeks reading although I found it quite easy to get lost. Every page something new was happing and it was hard for me to keep up with all the twists and turned. If there was one thing this book lacked it was subtly. This book came about during the late stages of the cyberpunk movement. The cyberpunk is a “subgenre of science fiction in a near future setting. Noted for it’s focus on ‘high-tech and low life’ it features advanced science, such as information technology and cybernetics, coupled with a degree of breakdown or radical change in the social order.”

 It was meant to be a sort of premonition of a vision of the future in which there was cybernetic body enhancement. The most interesting concept in this novel is the idea of jaunting, which is basically personal teleportation. jaunting doesn’t really have any limitations, other than not being able to “jaunte” through space. There are also examples of telepathy in this world, however it is extremely rare. The characters are intriguing enough, especially Foyle. I love a character bent on revenge, however he is fairly predictable. I think that having his tattoo removed, but it resurfacing when he becomes angry is a really good touch. The plot is a little overworked. Sometimes I think simpler is better, and definitely easier to follow, although Bester truly does create a fantastic world, though sometimes there are factual errors. Not everything in the novel was completely rational, but I bought into it just the same. I loved the ending. It really made me start to think more about the evolution of the human species.

No comments:

Post a Comment